Thursday, January 12, 2012

2011 Favourites: Brands

I'm starting to get all favourited-out, so this will be my last post of favourites from 2011. It's going to be short and sweet since I've gushed about and swatched products from these companies numerous times.

2011 was definitely the year I dabbled more in traditional and high-end cosmetics, but there was one indie I couldn't stop buying from: Darling Girl Cosmetics. The biggest reason why I love Darling Girl Cosmetics is their array of lip products. I decided toward the end of 2011 that I was over eyeshadow, both because it refused to work with me and I simply had too much of it. My attention shifted toward lip products, and god knows Darling Girl has enough of them!

I love absolutely everything I've received from Darling Girl, the products all feel great on the lips and offer sheer to medium pigmentation depending on the shade. The holo-glosses and lip jellies are great for layering, and the balms can be built up to an extent for a semi-sheer wash of colour. All the lip products are affordable at under $5 each, and I've received nothing but great service from Susan. Perhaps my only complaint is the turnaround time, but Susan is streamlining things to bring that down in the New Year. I've also found that my packages take around 3 weeks to get here once shipped, opposed to the usual 10 days, but I don't know what the deal is there.


From Left to Right: Sweet Cheeks Cream Blush in Just Bitten, Holo-Glosses in Going Batty and Vampire's Kiss, Discontinued lip balm in Twiggy, Kiss You Off Colour Rich Lip Balm in The Pumpkin King, Holo-Glosses in Raining Blood, Blue Suede Shoes, Bewitched and Poison Apple, Kiss You Off Colour Rich Lip Balm in Stay Beautiful (Robyn's colour!) and Lip Jelly in Ghouls Gone Wild. 

I'm not going to post swatches of these because a) I took some swatch photos and they turned out ugly, and b) because I've swatched all of these products in other posts. I posted swatches of Twiggy, Raining Blood, Blue Suede Shoes and Stay Beautiful here, and all the other products are featured in my Halloween swatchfest here. I have to note that the version of The Pumpkin King featured here is my replacement tube, which applies a lot more sheer than the melted product I received in my initial Halloween haul. I also received a huge Halloween/Christmas Darling Girl haul a few days ago, so I'm going to work on swatches for that and get that up soon!

Clockwise from Bottom Left: Sportsgirl Get Cheeky Cheek & Eye Shimmers in Rose, Peach and Blush, Glow And Behold Illuminating Bronzer, Give Some Lip Liquid Lip Colours in Dress Up, Candy Floss, Forever Young, Tutti Frutti, Bohemian and Nudie Run, Pout About It! Matte Lipstick in All About You, and Brushed Up! Retractable Kabuki Brush.

Now onto my favourite traditional cosmetics company this year, which had to be Sportsgirl! (Side note: it's kinda funny that both my favourite cosmetic brands have 'girl' in the name...) I was initially turned onto Sportsgirl by Suzanne, but I had no idea how hard I would fall for the brand. Everything I've tried has been of fantastic quality, and more than affordable for Aussies. I haven't tried a single product I didn't like, and their constantly changing rotation of products means that I always find something new and fantastic each time I venture in there. I won't repeat myself because I've gushed at length about the lipglosses, and the cheek products also made their way into my blush and highlighter favourites for 2011.

I've only tried one of the lipsticks and like it, and I've also given some of the Sportsgirl lip products as gifts to friends. I've tried a shimmering body lotion as a facial highlighter, as well as a gradual self-tanner (it worked, but I'm terribly lazy with those things!) and a sunscreen which I've damn near used up. I also recently purchased the above retractable kabuki brush for powder touch-ups on the go, which is neither too dense nor too fluffy. I'm on a no-buy/Project 10 Pan right now, but when I get off that I'd like to try more of the range, including more lipsticks and some of the eye products. :)


And now for an honourable mention: Essence! Essence recently rolled out to every Target in Australia, and toward the end of 2011 I was hauling like mad. I always whinge about the downright fucking stupid prices that cosmetics companies charge in Australia, but Essence has managed to buck the trend and keep their price point incredibly low and in line with the European prices. I've loved everything I've tried, and the Sun Club bronzer even made it into my 2011 favourites!

Essence is going to be a brand that kills me during my Project 10 Pan (which I am yet to blog about...post coming soon!), because they're constantly churning out awesome limited edition collections. I've been trawling foreign blogs and have already fallen in love with a few of the pieces, so that's incentive for me to quickly finish my 10 products. Australia still has a bit of the Vampire's Love products floating around though, so I can only hope that we take ages to get the new collections. If I'm still on my no-buy and can't buy them, well.... ;___;

---

What were your favourite brands from 2011? I considered also mentioning MAC due to my sickening love for their lipsticks, but I figured they were already over-represented in my lipstick favourites. ;]