Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Primer Crazy

Lately I've been going absolutely nuts trying to find the right primer. I'm reasonably oily but not overly so; my real problem is sweat. I'm a chronically sweaty bitch in ze facial region, I could probably find a way to sweat in -50 temperatures. The thing is, while there are a multitude of primers out there for oily skins, there aren't many (any?) marketed for sweaty skins. You can create a barrier between oil and your makeup, but you can't stop sweat from pushing its way through your makeup. So all I can do at this point is buy up all the oily skin primers I can find, and hope that one magically helps my makeup stay put through all the sweat!

MAC Matte, MAC Prep+Prime Skin Base Visage, L'Oreal Base Magique & NP Set Pre-Foundation Primer
Click to enlarge to read the ingredients if you wish! 
The MAC Matte gel isn't technically a primer, but I'd read that it can be used both under and over makeup to mattify the skin. I've been dying to try the Mally Poreless Face Defender, but it's difficult for me to get hold of without asking for a custom purchase, so I figured I'd try the matte gel as it has a similar concept.

While I was at MAC cringing over paying the Australian prices, I figured I might as well try something that is actually marketed as a primer. I'd originally gone in intending to purchase the Prep+Prime Skin Refined Zone, but balked at the extortionate price versus the tiny amount of product. The Prep+Prime line is very limited in Australia, so Skin Base Visage was basically my only other option. I tested it at the counter and didn't mind the texture, so I figured "eh, why not? If I hate it at least I can use it for Back2Mac. Because lipstick and primer totally have the same function. >__> *cough*"


I'm a little confused here - L'Oreal Base Magique seems identical to the L'Oreal Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer. Does this just exist because L'Oreal Studio Secrets only seems to be in certain stores in Australia? Anyway, I picked up Base Magique because I was curious as to whether the weirdass souffle texture would be compatible with my sweaty man face.

I've been trying out a few NP Set products lately, and I'm enjoying getting to know the brand. While going through a massive pile of junk mail I noticed there was a 3 for 2 sale on NP Set at Big W, so I raced down  and picked up this primer, a liquid foundation and a powder. They had a couple of colour correcting primers which I wasn't interested in, a pore ninja-ing primer that felt like pure silicone, and this one. This primer took a little bit of work to smooth into the skin, which to me felt more promising than a pile of silicones. I guess I feel like a tacky primer will grip my foundation better. *shrugs*

L - R: L'Oreal Base Magique, NP Set Pre-Foundation Primer, MAC Prep+Prime Skin Base Visage & Matte.
Swatches of creams aren't terribly helpful, but I figured it'd be cool to see how they differ in colour and texture!

Base Magique appears pink in the jar but is white when I scoop it out. I massage it between my fingers and then smooth it over my face, where it applies clear and almost feels as if I'm smoothing a powder over my skin. I need to massage the shit out of my MAC Matte tube, because it has a lot of air in it and doesn't squirt the product out as smoothly as I'd like it to. It squirts out the gel in random hard blobs, and reminds me far too much of *cough* a bowel movement *cough*. Yes, I did just compare a face product to a rectum. :|

Both the NP Set Pre-Foundation Primer and MAC Prep+Prime Skin Base Visage have a little shimmer to them. My current primer, Jemma Kidd Skin Rescue Bio-Complex Veil, has a tint and shimmer to it. I find the tint means that I don't need as much coverage when I do apply my foundation, while the shimmer livens up the skin somewhat. Even though these primers aren't skintoned, I'm hoping the shimmer has a similar effect! (Oh and for the record, I do really like the Jemma Kidd primer but it's too expensive and difficult to come by for me to justify repurchasing it.)

---

I also have three more primers coming in the mail: BECCA Cosmetics Resurfacing Primer which I bought after seeing Suze recommend it for sweaty skin, Too Faced Primed & Poreless which seems like Base Magique in a tube, and Laura Geller Spackle.